Auto-flowering cannabis seeds
To get auto-flowering strains, regular indica and sativa strains are crossed with ruderalis lineages. Ruderalis is a family of cannabis found in some of the colder regions of the world, such as northern Russia and China. Due to the adverse conditions, it has naturally evolved to flower with age, allowing it to break the light cycle dependence in an area of the world where light is scarce.
However, through careful breeding, experienced cultivators have managed to successfully mix the auto-flowering properties of ruderalis into many indica and sativa strains of cannabis, resulting in seeds that maintain all of the potency and yields of your favorite strains whilst adding in the benefit of age-based flowering.
Advantages of Auto-Flowering Cannabis Seeds
- You can harvest throughout the entire year. Autoflowering cannabis seeds do not rely on light cycles to dictate their flowering. This means that they can be grown all year round with multiple harvests - without having to worry about seasonal changes. It also offers novice growers a huge advantage, allowing them to get to grips with growing cannabis.
- They produce results very fast. Autoflowering seeds produce results extremely quickly. They can go from seed to harvest in as little as 10 weeks, allowing for constant and rapid production of fresh yields. Some auto-flowering strains do not yield as much as normal strains, they produce the flower much quicker, allowing for multiple grows in the same space as the time it takes for one normal grow. It also means you get more frequent harvests, making it possible to establish a constant flow of bud without further installations such as separate rooms.
- They are small and stealthy. Autoflowering strains tend to never grow above 1-1.2m in height. This allows for a great deal of stealth and discretion, making grow room management a lot easier.
- Auto-flowering cannabis is resilient. Due to their ruderalis heritage, auto-flowering strains of cannabis are very resilient to the cold, infections, and pests. If it’s not too cold (and snowy), they can even be grown outdoors in the winter.
- Auto-flowering strains are suited to both outdoor and indoor cultivation. When indoors, simply put your plants under a constant 18/6 light cycle, and when outdoors, plant them and leave them to it - It could not be easier.
Disadvantages of Auto-Flowering Cannabis Seeds
- Auto-flowering seeds produce small plants. Many growers are turned off by auto-flowering strains smaller size.
- Auto-flowering seeds need to start & finish in one container. They do not like to be transplanted and this can pose some problems. Getting them started in bigger buckets has a few challenges, but they can be easily overcome.
- Auto-flowering seeds deliver lower yields. Autoflowering strains are not commercial croppers and they aren’t going to make appearances on dispensary menus. Overgrow recommends spending some time on our website to research yields before committing. According to the reports of Humboldt Seed Organization’s Dedoverde Haze has yields of 40-150 grams per plant.
Available strains of auto-flowering cannabis include most big names. They are not obscure, untested strains you have never heard of, but built on the solid genetics of legendary strains. You can find many of them in the auto-flowering section of the Overgrow Online Shop. The popularity of auto-flowering strains is continually gaining momentum. No matter your experience, strain preference, or situation, there is an auto-flowering strain out there for you. Try adding one into your grow room, we are sure you will enjoy them.
As for whether or not you should use auto-flowering seeds, there are many arguments both for and against their use but one thing is for sure, they have certainly made harvesting cannabis much quicker and easier.
If you’re looking to buy quality auto-flowering cannabis seeds be sure to check Overgrows strain selection. We pride ourselves in supplying the best genetics and if by some small chance, your seeds do not germinate we will replace them!